Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 6: 3 Gifts Government






Day 6 and the suggested thankful-topic is government.





[crickets chirping]





I'm disillusioned and unimpressed with American government.  It's ever-increasing corruption is especially illuminated at election-time.  The campaigns are no longer respectful, but are mud-slinging, name-smearing displays of immorality.  Even supposedly honest ballets have been tinged with accusation, by both sides, of inaccurate and opposite results.  How did we get here?  It's hard to respect and trust a government like that, and therefore, to give thanks for it. America is economically, spiritually and politically bankrupt.

In our nation, I ought to be able to be thankful for civil rights and constitutional liberties, but those are subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) being stripped away.  We're in a sad state and I'm disappointed.



However, on election day, regardless of who wins, here's what I'm thankful for:


1.  God is sovereign and still hears from heaven when his people pray.

      ~ If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles 7:14 

      ~ For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.  1 Peter 3:12


2.  He has overcome the world.

      ~ I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.  John 16:33


3.  I'm just passing through.

      ~ But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,  Phillipians 3:20









 

Care to join me in giving thanks?  In the comments name three things you're thankful for today, and if you have a blog... maybe you'd like to link up!

No comments: