Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Favorite Finds





First, I discovered a blog today via the Homestead Revival blog that I think I'm going to enjoy visiting.  It's The Way Grandmama Does It and today's post is a soup-making blog hop.  Since I love soup, I'm going to participate and discover a whole bunch of new soup recipes!  While we didn't have soup this evening, I'm reposting a favorite of ours (I'm new to the blog hop... I hope that's permissible!). 

So, along with the weekly Favorite Finds, you may just find a Saturday soup recipe here from time to time as I join the blog hop!  Here goes:

Hearty Potato Soup

Ingredients

  • 6 Potatoes, Large, Peeled And Diced
  • 2 Carrots, Washed And Diced Small
  • 1 Onion, Peeled And Diced
  • 3 cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1 cup Half-and-half
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 cups Diced Ham
  • 1 cup Sour Cream, Divided
  • Desired Toppings: Shredded Cheddar, Chopped Bacon, Sour Cream

Preparation Instructions

Saute onion and carrot till onion is translucent. Add chicken stock and potatoes, simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the half-and-half and the milk; heat through. Add cheese, ham, 1/2 cup sour cream and heat through till cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with desired toppings: shredded cheddar, chopped bacon, the remaining sour cream.

Mmmm mmmm good. It was a hit with Joe, too... the guy who will usually pass up the soup went back for a second bowl.

I've noticed, though, that the recipes I take the time to post are not figure-friendly. Ah well, they're tasty.

At the bottom you'll find links to others who have posted their soup recipes. Go get inspired! 

Okay, on to this week's faves...


A video devotional on the deceptive heart by Beth Moore ~






In the Kitchen ~
Thank Your Body:  A "healthy fruit snack" recipe for Mamas (and Grammas) who like to serve up fun snacks (that really do seem more like fun snacks than health food), but keep it healthy.


For the Home ~
The Prudent Life:  Two days after posting the blog about table salt vs. sea salt and my personal commitment to switch to sea salt for consumption, I stumbled upon this blog about 10 uses for table salt.  Now, that's timely!  No need to try to justify using up that new container of table salt in the cupboard before the conversion!  And I have duly noted that not one of the 10 things has anything to do with ingestion!


Frugal Living ~
Mooberry Farm Homestead:  Doing this... Thought I might do it before this publishes so I could offer my comments, but I came down with a head cold and didn't feel like it!  I'll let you know what I think about it when I actually give it a try.  (she also posts a tip)


Good Advice ~
Miz Boo (2012):  Take a Picture with your Honey 
Miz Boo (2009):  Snap Out of It!  ...get in the picture.
     "So here’s the deal…
     1. In five years you will look five years older….you WILL look young in the pictures you take today!
     2. Ten years ago I thought I was fat. Oh my goodness….I should have taken pictures THEN.
     3. Your children look at you all day long. THEY know what you look like. They won’t care how you look in the picture.
     I really don’t like how I look in pictures. It pains me. I still want to look like I did when I was 25 years old. And really I’m shocked that I don’t."


I can relate.  I'm NOT photogenic (and I surely don't look 25 anymore!). I don't like how I look in pictures, either.  It's painfully scary... unless Kristiina helps a mom out by using her Photoshop skills... but then, that's vainfully fake.  Ugh.

But... I'll try to heed Donna's advice and get in the shot a little more.  The images might be precious to someone, someday.  I'm thankful my dad realized that.  He used to hate his picture taken, too.  But in those last few years, he didn't groan when the camera came out.  He knew we'd treasure our photos of him.

Oh, we do!













One way or another, we're going to try to enjoy the last sunny-ish day for more than a week today, so the forecast states.  It looks like next week we're in for a doosie of a storm!



The Blog Hop crew...



No comments: