Tuesday, September 4, 2012

They Are Precious In His Sight

 
Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
they are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.
(That's one of my favorite Sunday School songs. I have a vivid memory of CMA church, Syracuse, NY - many decades ago, in the downstairs, 1st-grade Sunday School room filled with little chairs that would allow my feet to reach the floor, a felt story board, and my zipper-covered KJ children's bible given to me by Grandma Staub.  That song is a big part of the memory and it impacted my 6-year-old scope of our vast and diversified world.
We're so different, and yet in Him, so much the same; brothers and sisters.)
 
*  *  *  *  *
 
 

I'm so excited.  This weekend (weekends are the only time we spend any substantial time together) Joe and I are going to determine the child we'll sponsor through Compassion International.

For some time now, I've been watching Compassion International... perusing their website, reading the blogs of Compassion Bloggers, even became a Compassion Blogger myself so I could share the great work they do. 

Lately, though, I've wanted to become more personally vested, to become a sponsor.  Joe and I have been discussing it over the past few days; we've researched Compassion, as well as other organizations, and we are ready to make the commitment. There are several reputable charities, but we have decided to partner with Compassion.  They have been a trusted charity since 1952 and have received 4 stars, the highest rating, on Charity Navigator.

It's a great time to get on board, too, as this is Blog Month at Compassion International.  So, besides becoming a sponsor, I'm joining them in their quest to raise awareness and help them reach their goal of seeing more than 3,000 children sponsored in the month of September. 

Won't you take a peek at their site and prayerfully consider sponsoring a child, too?  If you're like us, it will require a few minor adjustments to the budget and perhaps some small sacrifices, but for just $38 per month you could help to ensure that your sponsor-child receives:

  • nutritious snacks or meals
  • educational opportunities
  • health and hygiene training
  • medical checkups
  • the caring embrace of a local church
  • the message of God’s love through Jesus Christ.


  • (And help them to make Christ-centered memories that last a lifetime.)


    We're finding that choosing a child is not something we want to do haphazardly, not without thought and prayer.  ...And how do you choose just one when there are so many yearning for hope, encouragement, help?   

    I  recently saw a little girl on Compassion's website who was waiting for sponsorship.  Her name is Naomi and she lives in Ecuador.  Something about the look in her eyes touched me and I was moved to pray for her; for her health and protection, for Jesus-awareness and that she would be sponsored; perhaps by us?  I prayed every day for a week, checked on her status from time to time, and one day discovered she was no longer on the site. Yay! I can only assume she had received sponsorship.  While she is not the one God had in mind for us, I'm glad to have prayed for her and I continue to do so.






    I think we may start with choosing a child who shares a birthday with Kingston.  What a great learning and praying opportunity that would be for him - and the shared birthday would give him a sense of connection. 

    He has a globe in his bedroom and Mommy has been showing him different places on it, particularly states where his family resides.  So, perhaps when he sees the picture of another child added to those of him and his baby sister on grandma and grandpa's refrigerator, it would spark intrigue and be an opportunity to teach him about the culture of a little boy or girl in a far away land; and teach him compassion for one less fortunate than he.

    Then, someday, we'll select another child who shares a birthday with Aria.












    No comments: