Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Light and Momentary

It looks like it's shaping up to be one of those weeks.




This was yesterday morning.  Hmpf.  I groan and pull over.  Looks like I'm going to be late to work... 

I knew instantly why he stopped me,  a minor infraction, one I've known about and been putting off for too long...  an expired inspection sticker.  It glares red right beneath my rearview mirror.  {sigh}  Minor or not, it didn't deter the nice officer from issuing a $99 ticket.

It took him 15 minutes to do whatever he needs to do back there in his vehicle, with the lights still flashing and one front tire sticking out into the lane enough so that every car passing had to swerve to miss him... I took a picture and wonder if he would mind it, if he knew.  Sorry dude, but I was starting to get a little antsy... what on earth is taking so long?

Finally, he returned and gave me his dissertation about why he's issuing the citation...  yes, yes, yes... I know... okay, thank you... feigning cheerfulness, I plaster a smile on my face and bid him good day.

Pulling away, I grumble and mutter to myself something about stupid jerk, vacillating between reference to the graceless man in the uniform and to me for putting off the necessary and inevitable.

Half an hour late to work, and the entire Class of 2014 and the morning's guest lecturer, Dr. W., were all gathered in the hall waiting for the one with the key to show up.  Oh geez. {Big Sigh!}  Thankfully, that's where I found grace; they were understanding.



"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 
~2 Corinthians 4:17
 

And by His grace, I recognize that this somehow, miraculously, achieves a weightier eternal glory.  I find thankfulness (also miraculously?) even for the trouble.  Comparatively speaking, this is light... and momentary.  Then I find I'm thankful for the grace, and it's this cycle - the grace and the thankfulness - it pushes out everything else, all the feelings of frustration and angst, and I'm not mired by unkindness (reference to the stupid jerk remarks even if not spoken).



In context:
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
~2 Corinthians 4:16-18





This morning before work, I went to start my daily load of wash, and discovered the washing machine won't turn on. 
Oh, maaaaan. Ugh.  It will do a spin cycle, but none of the wash cycles are working. 

With all the furry residents at my house, I NEED my washing machine to work. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I hear, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds" ~James 1:2


Pure joy?  Really?  Nevertheless, in my mind's eye, I take on a posture of perseverance; pressing on.


In context:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.    Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  ~ James 1:2-4


Yes, Lord, to be mature and complete, not lacking anything; that's what I desire.



It makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring.

     ...as long as grace comes with it...




 

No comments: