Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Favorite Finds



One winter in Vermont...
 


For Your Soul ~
Switching Gears and Scripture Memorization:  It's just been a week and I have already failed at the 365 day bible reading challenge.  It just felt a little too much like punching a time card and not truly enriching - at least not for the right reasons.  Here's something else...
"This is the thing: No one sends you a memo that Today is the day you’ll need a certain verse to keep you breathing through the day.  When you memorize Scripture, it’s like carrying your own oxygen tanks.  And then there’s Jesus: Christ’s weapon against Satan in the desert was memorized Scripture. And if you aren’t memorizing Scripture — what IS your weapon against Satan?" 
It just seems a little more useful and edifying to me...   So, that's the new plan.  Memorizing a few chapters from Romans this year, along with Ann.  Go see what you think...  maybe you'd like to join in.
"The story of one woman that will definitely get you to memorize."


For Your Sustenance ~
Canning Granny:  Kristiina just shared this one with me.  Here Pamela, the Canning Granny, compares our times to the times of Noah...  And I see her point.  Dare I say it out loud ... or write it in plain view, as the case may be ...  I'm a Prepper.  No kidding.  Well, I have Prepper tendencies in that I'm gleaning and learning from others, but haven't put too much into practice yet.  I'm still in the wish-list phase.  But I can totally relate to where they're coming from, and like Canning Granny says, am a little "Noah-esque."  I'm not a total doomsday touter, but more a homesteader-wanna-be with "let's be ready for that day, just in case" desires.  (Gotta quit the day job... it's a total inhibitor!)  What do you think?  Would you be one to stand with me, or to pat me on the head, deeming me a silly girl?  (For more:  Read this from Amy at Homestead Revival.)


For Your Health ~
The Mommypotatomus:  on flu shots... I've never had one and don't foresee myself ever making it a point to get one.  And that's even before reading this from Heather.  This just solidifies it.  What are your thoughts? on flu shots and other "modern" medicines?


In the Kitchen ~
Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie:  This is good!  Have it for breakfast... or for a late-night snack, like I did last night. 

The ingredients:
  • 1 cup ice (I used crushed)
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I didn't have any, so I just skipped it)
  • 1 frozen banana (my banana wasn't frozen, fresh worked just as well)
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, raw (I only used 1/3 cup)
  • 1 tablespoon sweetener (I used raw honey)
  • 1 cup milk

  • Measure ice and strawberries and pour into the bottom of the blender. Add the remaining ingredients on top. Blend until completely smooth. Serve immediately or freeze in small containers for later use. Serves 2-4.
    Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

    There was a bit of texture from the oats (slightly grainy), but I didn't find it offensive.  I read in the comments on the blog post, though, that some may grind the oats to a flour consistency, first. I personally don't see the need to bother with that, but if you have texture issues, you might want to.




    Our road, yesterday morning... heading to MOPS

    No comments: