Saturday, August 4, 2012

Just One

I spent some time yesterday poking around the internet; checking in at my regular blog-stops, seeing what new and wonderful things had been pinned at Pinterest, deleting junk and reading what was worthy in my e-mailbox and, ultimately, chasing hyperlink-rabbits.

One was a link to an author's new book, Wrecked ~ When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life; another was about the hungry and impoverished in distant lands; and I read a quote from Mother Teresa...

After a while, I started feeling really complacent and practically gluttonous.  We are so very rich.  Perhaps not if measured by what's actually in our bank account - we're among those who scrape and pinch - but looking at the big picture...



I have a home, more than ample for two adults and their pets, that keeps me dry when it's wet outside, cool when it's hot outside, warm when it's cold outside. It contains a plush bed (or three) that allows me to rest well, a kitchen to prepare as many meals and snacks in as I desire, plumbing that provides clean water for drinking, cooking, bathing and even flushing.

We each have our own automobile, and myriad forms of entertainment; television, music, internet, at the flip of a switch.





I feel so spoiled by the ridiculous, extravagant conveniences of our Western culture - and it's not that it makes me feel guilty, per se.  After all, God has designed all of this with superiority.  So, who would I be to question that.  But it certainly humbles me and makes me wonder at His purposes.

Why was I born here, in the land of the rich and the free, to a family steeped in Christian heritage?  And how does He want me to use what He's given me to bless others?

There have been months I wondered if the DISH bill would get paid before the next direct deposit hit the account.   While in other parts of the world (and not necessarily just on distant continents, but right here in our own communities), there are mothers worrying over whether they will be able to find another meal for their children.  In that light, my angst seems so absurd.






So, what am I to do?  That's the question.  The need is so great, but I'm just one... we're just two.  How can we make a difference?









One way... one big way... to start making a difference is by sponsoring a child through Compassion International.  You'd be amazed at the impact those funds have in the life of a child and, really, all we have to do is sacrifice a few restaurant lunches per month. ...and are the new sandals that match that top perfectly really necessary?

Personally, I'm sensing I need to do more than mail a monthly, face-less check.  It's time for me to get up off the couch and do something.  I'm not sure exactly what yet - I don't want to just haphazardly jump into something.  I'm praying for God to lead me to where He is already working and would have me join Him.

Pray with me?




1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my dear Pammie, your heart is so very big! I'm humbled by this post and praying as well. Love you.