Thursday, June 20, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Mmmm, strawberries and rhubarb.  Such a beautiful duo.

If you like my Facebook page, you probably saw the picture of me holding a stalk of rhubarb and reminiscing about the childhood memories it evoked.

Memories of early summer days; I'm elementary school age, riding bikes with friends, running through sprinklers, doing arts and crafts with the mobile Parks and Rec program, climbing trees, and snitching (usually with permission) a stalk of rhubarb from our kindly neighbor's yard and eating it raw like a carrot stick or celery stalk.  I loved the zany tartness of it!

So, before the strawberries and rhubarb go out of season, here's one more recipe for them!























Ingredients:

4 c strawberries, diced
4 c rhubarb, peeled and diced
1/3 c honey (raw or organic)
1/2 c butter, melted
1 scant c sucanat
1 c oats
1 c flour
1 t cinnamon, or to taste


Preparation:

Place the diced fruit into a 9 x 13 pan and drizzle with honey.  In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and spread over the fruit.  Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.  Easy and delicious!

The recipe, which I modified only slightly (the sweeteners, mostly), was inspired by Nancy's original recipe found at On the Home Front.

Fun fact:  We've only "met" through the world wide web, but Nancy and I actually live just miles apart.







5 comments:

Kristiina said...

Hahah. That's so funny that you and Nancy are only 'miles' apart but have yet to meet face to face. That crisp was yummy. xoxo

Nancy W said...

You're version looks delicious! Thanks for linking back to my blog! One of these days we should meet face to face!

Berny said...

Why would you ever peel rhubarb? Isn't that where all the fiber and good stuff is? You just need a very sharp knife to cut it and I assure you it cooks to a very soft mush even without peeling Not to mention the nice rosy red color it gives to your food - been doing it for years!

Pam O'Brien said...

Hi Berny,

That was actually the first time I ever used rhubarb in a recipe! I lived the majority of my adult life in Florida where rhubarb does not grow. A lot of the recipes I perused that use rhubarb indicated peeling it.
Now that I know those pesky strings aren't a problem when cooked, I'll try it without peeling next time!
Thanks.

Carole said...

Very tasty crisp. I have three healthy rhubarb plants in my garden. Starting in mid August I start to freeze my rhubarb by washing it and dicing it. I usually have some until the end of March. No need to remove the outer skin which is packed with fiber and vitamins and minerals. Thanks for your web site. Your follower in Ottawa (Canada's capital). Carole