Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Cream of Mushroom Soup" w/ Ground Beef


Joe and I like to have [a form of] stroganoff from time to time; a very basic ground meat version - it's one of our comfort foods.  The thing is... it's one of those "cream of" meals.

So, I set out to recreate that dish eliminating anything canned.




We didn't have our preferred egg noodles, so spirals sufficed in a pinch.



Here's what I came up with:



"Cream of Mushroom Soup" w/Ground Beef

       **and see below for an updated version**
1.5 lb. ground beef (or substitute stir-fry beef or chicken)
1 cup chopped mushrooms (whateverkind you like - I have white button mushrooms most readily available, so that's what I use)
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp sage
½ tsp sea salt (or more to taste)

dash fresh ground pepper
¾ cup chicken broth (no packaged broth... I use homemade bone broth)

2 glugs red wine
Splash Worcester sauce (will have to find a homemade, non-bottled recipe for this)
2/3 cup cream or whole milk
2 T flour

½ cup plain greek yogurt

Brown the meat in the skillet, drain and set aside.  Saute the mushrooms in the butter until tender; set aside. Saute onion till soft then add garlic, stirring till just aromatic.

Add seasonings, broth, wine and Worcester sauce.  Bring to a simmer. Whisk flour into the cream/milk; add to pan and stir until thickened. Stir in greek yogurt, mushrooms and beef. Heat through. Serve over rice or pasta.

If you eliminate the wine, Worcester sauce, yogurt and meat, this could be a basic homemade "cream of mushroom soup" that you can use in other recipes and eliminate the MSG-laden canned stuff.





 
It's a keeper.

UPDATE (ingredients variation):

1.5 lb. ground beef (or substitute stir-fry beef or chicken)
1 cup chopped mushrooms (about 8 mushrooms - whateverkind you like - I have white button mushrooms most readily available, so that's what I use)
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. butter or tallow

½ tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
dash fresh ground pepper
Splash Worcester sauce (will have to find a homemade, non-bottled recipe for this)
1 pint jar of beef broth (I used the pot roast broth left over from Sunday's pot roast)
1 cup of [runny] yogurt (for me, this replaced the milk/cream - as well as the greek yogurt - because my yogurt was homemade and turned out too liquidy)
2 T flour

Follow the same directions as above.  I liked this even better than the original.

the deleted ingredients...
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp sage
¾ cup chicken broth (no packaged broth... I use homemade bone broth)
2 glugs red wine
2/3 cup cream or whole milk
½ cup plain greek yogurt



Linking up with KellytheKitchenKop for Real Food Wednesdays.


1 comment:

Mom said...

Mmm-mmmm!! Looks yummy! John and I use Dreamfields pasta only because it is so much lower in carbs and doesn't taste nasty like some others do. I will definitely be making this one! Thanks!